Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Good Whole Wheat Bread

1. In large mixing bowl
combine, stir and let stand........1 cup hot water
1 cup dark brown sugar, or 1/2 cup molasses and
1/2 cup sugar
2. In small bowl
sprinkle..........................2 tablespoons or 2 pkgs. dry yeast
over..............................1 cup warm water and
2 tablespoons honey or sugar
3. Add to first mixture
and beat well.....................3 cups warm water
4 teaspoons salt
6 cups white flour
yeast mixture
4. Stir in, then knead
on floured board..................6 cups whole wheat flour, approx.
1 cup cracked wheat (optional)
5. Cover. Let rise in a
warm place until double
in size. Punch down. Shape
into loaves, place in greased
bread pans, let rise until double.

6. Bake at 400 for 45 min.
yield: 6 loaves

with my oven, it takes about 20 minutes or so at this temperature to cook the bread, so I would keep an eye on it. I love this because it isn't very hard and makes so much at one time! I usually make lots of rolls as well as three loaves of bread.

1 comment:

  1. Oh good, I'll have to try this one. I haven't found a wheat bread recipe that will rise yet!

    ReplyDelete